Today I met Tom outside of a grocery store. He asked me if I had spare cash for his lunch. As usual, I said no and kept walking. After a few seconds I remembered I had a couple dollars in cash, so I went back and gave them to Tom. This is how it went:
Me: Here are a couple of dollars for your lunch. How are you doing today?
Tom: Thank you. I am alright.
Me: That's good. So... what's your story?
Tom: I suffer from paranoia and schizophrenia... and that is pretty much the story of my life. I live in an institution a couple of blocks from here.
Me: Do you take any medication?
Tom: Yes I do.
Me: Do they help?
Tom: They somewhat help... they somewhat help.
Me: By the way, my name is Javier.
Tom: I am Tom.
Me: It is nice meeting you Tom. You know, I have been going through something difficult for the past months, and the only thing that I have found to give me hope is to go to my room, kneel down, and start talking to God; hoping that He listens.
Tom: Oh, don't worry. There is a God and he listens. Everything you need will come. Don't worry.
Me: Thank you. I guess that is what is written: "seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."
Tom: I really wish that you get through this and find the hope that you need. I struggle with that myself sometimes, you know.
Me: Thank you Tom. I will be praying for you.
Tom: Thank you.
This was supposed to be a story on how I helped a person in need, but it turned out to be the other way around. I gave Tom a couple of dollars and in return he gave me a message of hope. A message from heaven saying that everything I need will come.
I truly wish to be more like Tom; that in the middle of my problems and daily struggles I can still share a message of optimism and hope to those around me. An honest and whole-hearted message that says: everything you need will come. Don't worry.
Sincerely,
Javier
No comments:
Post a Comment