In this fast pace world in which everything moves so quickly and we rush everywhere, especially in the US and working in the SF Financial District, it's hard to not feel productivity as self worth. We rush to get out of the house to go to work, we work nonstop all day, even having lunch at the desk to "not waste time," we rush back home, to have something quick and easy for dinner, to then have just a few hours of sleep (because who has time for 8 hours of sleep, right?). And then we start over, another day, same routine, until the weekend comes along and is filled with neverending chores and to-do's so we never rest. In this modern culture, it seems like our worth is measured by how much we produce, how well we perform, how effective we are with our time and resources. So, here I was, judging others who were not moving at the same pace. Like the people who have stories to share but we don't really listen because we want to move to the next task. But for what? What's the rush? Now that I am aware that I was on the wrong list I have been trying to change my behavior and mindset. For instance, I noticed that I was using exhaustion as a status symbol. I realized that many times when someone asked me, how are you? I used to answer: "Oh, I'm so busy." "There's a lot going on." "This week is crazy." Does that sound familiar? And now when I answer, "I'm doing great! I had an awesome weekend." I almost feel bad that I'm enjoying life too much. Or that others will think that I don't have enough work. That's crazy, right?
Now I am trying to enjoy the present, to let go, knowing that I don't have to be perfect, and that I don't need to have everything figure out. I'm trying to live wholeheartedly and enjoy the little things that make me happy.
Sincerely,
Valerie
Source:
Transcript: Brené Brown on Vulnerability (Nov 22, 2012) | On Being
http://www.onbeing.org/program/transcript/4932

No comments:
Post a Comment